2) PC Magazine defines an electronic performance support system (EPPS) as:
A computer system that provides quick assistance and information without requiring prior training to use it. It may incorporate all forms of multimedia delivery as well as AI techniques such as expert systems and natural language recognition.
According to Trainingmanager.biz, an EPSS is:
Electronic Performance Support System (EPSS)-Systems that provide employees with the information, advice, and learning experiences they need to get up to speed as quickly as possible and with the minimum support from other people.
My preferred definition of an electronic performance support system, however, comes from the Computing Dictionary at Dictionary.com, which borrowed Gery's 1997 definition stating that an EPSS is :
A system that provides electronic task guidance and support to the user at the moment of need. EPSS can provide application help, reference information, guided instructions and/or tutorials, subject matter expert advice and hints on how to perform a task more efficiently. An EPSS can combine various technologies to present the desired information. The information can be in the form of text, graphical displays, sound, and video presentations.
I prefer this final definition, because it seems more complete and more encompassing than the previously listed definitions. While the former definitions utilize simple, easy to understand language, the final one opens one's mind to the seemingly limitless possibilities.
Although cost and a reluctance to change have slowed the growth of EPSS in the past, I believe that we are moving beyond this point at a rapid pace. Although I am unfamiliar with an EPSS that is as complete as Dictionary.com suggests, I utilize some type of EPSS on a daily basis. This may be anything from working in our degree evaluation system, to completing training sessions via YouTube, Skype, or video conferencing platforms. I use Dropbox and Google Docs to collaborate and share files with colleagues both synchronously and asynchronously. When I consider these activities in light of the increasingly mobile nature of society, the wide spread adoption of technology, and the improving cost effective nature of technology applications, I am lead to believe that EPSS implementation will continue to increase exponentially.
The following Youtube video captures some the creative and collaborative features provided by Google Docs.
3) A major part of my professional responsibilities is advising students. It is very important that I have access to correct information and that I know how to use that information. Otherwise, I could mistakenly advise students to take incorrect classes or retake unnecessary classes, which costs the student additional time, money, and effort. A major part of making sure this is correct comes in making sure that gpa requirements are met, and that classes that have been retaken to increase a gpa are entered correctly. We have had a system in place that addresses these issues, but I have found that it is not intuitive and does not "notice" or flag some important information, which can leave room for error. So, our wonderful personnel in the registrar's office have been working on a new program that will address these issues MUCH more effectively. The new program incorporates information that used to require us to go to multiple programs to access. In addition, it allows advisers and students to access a degree plan, see what classes still need to be taken, see what courses meet that requirement, and register for the class, all from the same program. A myriad of other important information will also be available from this one program.
It would be an understatement to say that I am excited about this new program going live in a few months. It would also be misleading to to say that I could have used it effectively without training. I have experienced, and will continue to experience, a blended learning approach in regards to implementing this new tool. First, one of the program creators drove two hours to my office to spend some time training me on the new system. Knowing that I am fairly tech savvy and learn by actually using the products, she left me with a wonderful instructional guide. The new system is rather intuitive and includes some directions when you perform or attempt to perform certain functions, so that allows me to learn as I use the program. Of course, having the system creators just a phone call away when I need them is very handy, as well. The beauty of this blended learning approach is that it allows for a higher level of support that some of my coworkers need.
4) One of my most vivid memories surrounding informal learning occurred when the district where I was employed decided to install Smartboards in every elementary classroom. Since the implementation began with third to fifth grade math and science classes and I taught fourth grade ELAR, I did not receive my Smartboard for nearly a year after my very good friend and team teacher, Michelle, got hers. Of course, as is often the case, we received new technology with absolutely no training in how to use it. Fortunately for me, by the time I actually got my Smartboard, Michelle was using hers like a pro. She used it every day in nearly every lesson, and could do just about anything with it. Naturally, she became my "go-to" person for my endless list of questions. Although some of what she showed me initially came in the form of short sessions that resembled more formal training, much of it occurred on a daily basis when I would barge into her room before school, after school, or even during a lesson asking her how to do certain things. She was AMAZINGLY patient with me, showing me everything I needed to know. Of course, by this point, I also had ten year old students who knew how to use the Smartboard much more effectively than I did, because they had the experience that I lacked. So, in many ways, they also became my teachers.
As more and teachers received their Smartboards, this informal learning increased exponentially. We talked about "new tricks" we had learned, Smartboard resources we had found, and how we were using it in our classes. These conversations occurred in classrooms, after school, in the lounge, at the grocery store, at the beauty salon, in Sunday school, on Facebook, and via email. We learned a huge amount of information from each other. In many ways, this was much more effective than any formal training could have been, because we were able to apply our new skills immediately, and since they were coming from other teachers, we knew it was relevant.

No comments:
Post a Comment